The development of computer started in the 16th century and is the result of today’s modern computers. However, there was a rapid change in the development of the computer. From the first generation of computer to till date… After every generation, the size, type, functioning and functionality of the computer have improved greatly.
The current computer is quite modern and developed. During this period of development, there was a considerable change in the computer, which created new generations of computers and invented various types of computers. From which we know the form of Generation of Computer and it has been divided into five distinct phases.
- First Generation of Computer (1940 – 1956)
- Second Generation of Computer (1956 – 1963)
- Third Generation of Computer (1964 – 1971)
- The fourth generation of computer (1971 – 1980)
- The fifth generation of computers (Till Date)
Today in this article below I am going to give you a brief description of the first generation of computer only. So, let’s now check out the brief note on the first generation of computers below:
First Generation of Computer (1940 – 1956)
In the first generation of computers, scientists had used Vacuum tubes technology. The vacuum tube was a delicate glass vessel, which used the filaments as a source for the electrons. It could control and extend the electronic signal. These vacuum tubes were used for storage and control along with calculations. The first computer was Electronic Computer Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer (ENIAC).
ENIAC was 30 to 50 feet long, weighed 30 tons,150,000 watts of electricity, 10,000 capacitors, 70,000 registers, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. The first generation of computers was very heavy in size, which required large rooms to keep and they used to exhaust heat in large amounts, so the proper condition of the computer was essential for air conditioning.
Programs that are written in High-Level Programming Language, which are retranslated in an assembly language or machine language by a compiler. Assemblies are redistributed in language assembler (assembly language compiler) machine language. Prior to ENIAC’s expiry, von Neumann designed an automated computer EDVAV.
In addition to running electronic discrete variable automated computer (EDVAC) ash programs, data was stored in memory and both data and instructions were being processed very fast. In 1952, Ackert and Mauchly developed the first commercial computer Universal Automatic Computer (UNIVAC).
The first generation of the computer had a magnetic drum, which scientists had used as internal memory. This generation was used in programming machine and assembly language, machine language is based on 0 and 1 only. The time period of the First Generation of Computer in Hindi was 1940-1956, which was based on “Vacuum Tube” technology.
Recommended Articles :-
Iron Man of India | Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Charles Babbage | Father Of Computer
Aristotle | Father Of Biology & Other Branches Of Biology
What Are The Objectives Of Consumer Awareness?
How To Increase Awareness About Environment?
What Are The Fabric Waste In Garment Industry
Features Of The First Generation Of Computers:
The beginning of the first generation of the computer has started from around 1945 AD. First Generation of Computer’s features are as follow:
- Machine language was first used for storage in first generation computers.
- In the first generation of computer, there were vacuum tube / electronic as a switching system. The speed gained from them was 333 microseconds.
- The first generation of computer was primarily based on the batch operating system
- In the first generation, most of the scientists used to create simple business systems such as “Acoustic Delay Lines” and “Magnetic Drum” storage devices
- For storage, the first generation had the ‘punch card’
- In the first generation, the computer size was very large due to the use of vacuum tube technology
- ENIAC, UNIVAC, and EDVAC are important examples of first-generation of computers.
- In the year between 1940 to 1956, the application of general purpose has started using mechanical and sign language. It denotes the first generation.
- The first generation of the computer had the electronic numerical integrator and calculator, Electronic Discrete variable automatic computer
- Maintaining the first generation of computers was difficult and it was difficult to run too.