The popular workplace chat app Slack is being purchased by the US cloud computing company Salesforce. The acquisition is one of the biggest deals in the history of the global software industry. This is the largest deal in Salesforce’s 21-year history. San Francisco-based Salesforce is one of the few companies that started selling software based on subscription service. Under this service, the company’s software could be used from any internet connected device and there was no need to install the software in the user’s personal system.
The Megadeal Between Salesforce And Slack:
- Let us tell you that Facebook bought WhatsApp for only $19 billion, that is, this deal is bigger than WhatsApp acquisition. Facebook, however, bought WhatsApp only in 2014.
- Salesforce has announced that the company is buying Slack for $27.7 billion. If you convert this into Indian rupees, then it is about 20.36 trillion rupees.
- For the last few weeks, discussions about this deal were going on, but now it has been approved. This will be the biggest acquisition in the software industry in the last few years.
- Salesforce CEO Mark Benioff has stated that Stewart and his team have created an extremely great product in enterprise software history and its ecosystem is also unreliable.
- The CEO of Salesforce has said that Salesforce and Slack together will shape the future of enterprise software and people who are working anywhere in the world will also undergo a transformation.
- This is the largest acquisition in 21-year Salesforce history. The San Francisco-based company’s stock plunged 3.6 percent in expanded business. Sluggish shares, which have risen in recent days on reports that the merger was in the works, were little changed.
- The deal, which is expected to close in 2022, comes as Slack fully capitalizes on the switch to remote work during the COVID-19 epidemic due to fierce competition from Microsoft Corp’s teams and other workplace apps Have struggled for
Journey Of Slack:
- It is worth noting that the Slack app is used as a workplace chat app in most companies. You can understand it just like a messaging tool. Apart from the instant message, here are several features related to the workplace.
- People working in the office here talk to each other about the product and meetings are also held. Its user interface is simple and important options ranging from direct messages to public chat are available.
- Work from home culture has increased worldwide due to the lockdown after Coronavirus. In such a situation, Slack got the benefit of this and it also increased its business.
- Journey Started in 2002 – From Gaming to Slack Apps
- Stewart Butterfield started Ludicorp in 2002 as a startup. The aim was to make a game. Till 2004, this gaming did not become as popular.
- In 2009 Butterfield tried to recreate the game. But he did not get any special success in this either. By 2011, however, Butterfield held good investors for its gaming startup and also raised $ 10.7 million in funds.
- But there was no such success here and in 2013 a tool was created called Slack. From then onwards, Slack got funding and it was established as a workplace app.
- Gradually its growth continued to grow and new features were added. According to the report, in the same year, Slack extended its partnership with IBM.
Salesforce And Slack:
Slack and Salesforce are headquartered in San Francisco about a block away from each other. Slack’s office is in the shadow of the 62-story Salesforce Tower, the tallest building in Northern California.